Night on Earth - B
Schizopolis - B-
The Piano Tuner of Earthquakes - B
Primer - B
Ryan (2005) - B
Lost Highway - C+
The Seventh Seal (1957) - A
Metropolis (1927) - A

The Seventh Seal - First, a review of the Blu-ray transfer. This film looks amazing. Detail and contrast is so vivid that the characters seems to pop right out of the screen. If you're curious how good a B&W movie can look on Blu-ray, this would be a good film to watch. Second, the actual review- I picked this movie up from googling "Criterion" to see what popped up on Amazon.com, and picked the title that sounded the most interesting to me. Prior to that I'd never heard of it (obviously I'm not much of a film historian). A knight returns from the crusades to find his people dying from the plague and challenges Death to a chess match while seeking answers to questions of the eternal. You've no doubt seen the chess match parodied before even if you haven't heard of this movie. Brilliantly acted, beautifully shot, and poses some interesting questions. As good as it's reputation. A

Metropolis - What can you say about a 80 year old science-fiction movie? In the context of modern films, really, a lot of better stuff has been made since then. Taken in context, it's absolutely amazing. Some of the visual effects and in particular the art direction in this movie can still impress after all this time. A