Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix - B
Faust (1994) - A
Night on Earth - B
Schizopolis - B-
The Piano Tuner of Earthquakes - B
Primer - B
Ryan (2005) - B
Lost Highway - C+

Ryan is a computer animated short-form documentary (2005 Academy Award winner) about the burned-out animator Ryan Larkin who made some influential animations in the late 60s - early 70s. The short itself is brilliant, as are the original films of Ryan Larkin himself which are also included on the disc. The documentary about the making of the short-form documentary which is also included, is also very good. Excellent DVD with a wealth of material. Of interest to documentary fans, and animation fans. B

Lost Highway - The first Lynch film I've seen aside from his two most iconic films Blue Velvet and Eraserhead (well, Elephant Man too I guess, but still haven't seen that one). Obviously not as innovative or as brilliant as either of those films. The first 45 minutes or so are very good but then after the lead gets transmogrified or whatever happens we are treated to some of the most hackneyed mob stuff I've ever seen put to film (and I've seen a lot of mob films!). The most interesting part of the film is the role of the mysterious stranger- ghost, devil, warlock? Who knows? Pretty good film when it moves towards the strange, boring when it doesn't. PS- I think there's at least a half hour of Bill Pullman looking intensely off into the distance in this film. C+

Last edited by LitmusDragon; February 19 2010 at 07:06 PM.
LitmusDragon is offline   Reply With Quote