Old February 18 2010, 10:02 PM   #73
Pseudo
Fleet Captain

View Pseudo's Twitter Profile
Re: Was Picard wrong in I,Borg?

USS KG5 wrote: View Post
RobertScorpio wrote: View Post
Admiral Shran wrote: View Post
What are these alternatives Picard had at his disposal?

Military victory? That isn't going to happen.
Negotiated peace? That won't work with the Borg.

The Borg never stopped being a massive threat to the Federation, and the entire galaxy, until Janeway "genocidally" infected them with the neurolytic pathogen, killed the Borg Queen, blew up the Unicomplex, and destroyed their Transwarp Network.

Sounds like what Picard had in mind, only taken to another level. Therefore, IMO, Picard should have used his plan, as it was later proven that it was the only workable way to end the Borg threat. Countless people could have been saved from assimilation or death at the hands of the Borg.
I totally agree with you on this. But let me try the devil advocate role;

If Q took you back into the past, to when Hitler was a baby, and gave you the opportunity to end Hilter's life and prevent his rise to power; would you? Going one further, what if Q swore to you that by killing the baby hitler, Earth's history would have been far less bloody; would you?

Rob
Nope, the war would just have happened with someone else, with the USSR instead of Germany, or at another time.

WW2 was a culmination of years of events, Hitler was just the right monster in the right place at the right time.

In fact WW2 occurring when it did may have saved millions of lives. Imagine what might have happened if the war had started a decade or two later when the antagonists had developed nuclear weapons technology.
Pseudo is offline   Reply With Quote