Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban - A
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire - B-
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix - B
Faust (1994) - A
Night on Earth - B
Schizopolis - B-
The Piano Tuner of Earthquakes - B
Primer - B

I thought Piano Tuner was a pretty straightforward dream/hallucination allegory- for one thing, we never see the sky in the film, which is an indication that this place is false; another is that the main character Felisberto is said to have never been born- he was never born because he is a fictional person, a delusion, or a dream. Then I go online and see that the critics read it as some kind of riff on Dracula, which isn't how I saw it at all. Anyway, dreamlike (possibly hallucinatory) movie in the Quay Brothers inimitable style, combining stop motion with live action and making use of strange camera effects and lighting on some exquisitely detailed sets. Film could really use a new transfer though- contrast was poor throughout. Good film for those interested in surrealism. B

Primer - I'll admit, this movie was a challenge to me. Beyond the technical jargon, which I understand is not in any way dumbed down as the movie was written by an ex-engineer, the plot moves at a frenetic pace in the second half. I had no problems following the plot until the last half-hour, when Thomas Granger shows up from the future- by that time, so much had happened that I'd forgotten who he was! A run to wikipedia afterwards cleared up most of the questions that I had. Really interesting take on time travel and an extremely smart film, in fact I can't think of a smarter film I've seen recently. In a way I wish that the film had a higher budget- seeing how things played out at the party, and what was done through the various iterations to solve the problem, would have been very interesting I think, but impossible on the films shoestring budget. On the other hand, maybe it is the things left unseen that make this film so smart and unique. I'll probably need to watch it again to get a full appreciation of some of the subtleties. B