View Single Post
Old February 14 2010, 10:02 AM   #56
Admiral Shran
Admiral

Re: Was Picard wrong in I,Borg?

Rush Limborg wrote: View Post
^Amen.

I think, as of "First Contact", when Lily confronts him about the hypocrisy of all his speeches on "evolved sensibility", he finally gets off for good the stupid high-horse so many "intellectuals" have...and face the facts. It took a while for him to reach that point, but by then, he has understood that sometimes, going by "values" and "principles" are just going to get us all killed.

It's the same lesson Sisko begrudgingly learns in "In The Pale Moonlight"--and which Bashir is dragged, kicking and screaming, into accepting in "Inter Arna..." and "Extreme Measures".
I'd say it's also the same lesson that Janeway teaches the rest of the Voyager crew in "The Omega Directive." Omega must be eliminated. She fully accepts this and agrees with Starfleet that the greater good has to come first. If that means destorying an alien race's means of energy production and violating the Prime Directive, so be it.

She's clearly setting aside her "values" and "principles" in order to achieve what absolutely needs to be achieved. That's the reason why "The Omega Directive" is one of my favorite Voyager episodes.