View Single Post
Old February 14 2010, 03:36 AM   #9
Ugly Sweater
Trekker4747

Re: The Wolfman (grading and discussion)

Wolfman

Rated: R

My Grade: (Generously) B-

-----------------------------------------------------

This is one of those movies just go and see (or rent) once just to see it and then afterwards sort of shrug and say "meh."

Pretty much this movie in a word: "Meh."

The cinematography is good, the effects are good any makeup used is good, the art design is good but overall the movie just didn't blow my skirt up.

Wolfman starts with a man being chased down in an England wood a mauled by a werewolf. Flashforward to nearly a month later and the brother of the man mauled in the opening moments is arriving to be with his family for the funeral and to find out what killed his brother. Long-story short he gets bitten by the werewolf and becomes one himself.

Obviously, as would be the problem in a movie like this, a month passes between the big action-pieces in this movie and a bit of time is spent trying to setup this next stage of the story.

When the movie is doing the werewolf thing it's pretty good. The action is good, the gore is done well, and in one of the wolfman segments you're almost rooting for him as you know its going to be good. But the movie grinds to a halt during the scenes in between dealing with the story. Which involves some stuff with the lead character and his grieving sister-in-law, has crazy father, an inspector from Scotland Yard investigating the murders in the area, yadda yadda.

The movie is entertaining when the action starts the stuff in between drags it down. I really can't say much more than that. This movie is probably worth a rental or a cheap matinee or afternoon showing but hardly one to rush out and see.