Battlefield Earth - F
There Will Be Blood - A
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets - B
The Diving Bell and the Butterfly - B
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban - A
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire - B-
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix - B
Faust (1994) - A

The fifth Harry Potter film is fairly solid, though disjointed at times. Events often proceed one right after the other without any thread of explanation. Nice cinematography and sets, and the "Dumbledore's Army" plot line is fun. B

Faust - Jan Svankmajer is not for everyone, but I love what he does. This retelling of the classic Faust tale about a man of science who sells his soul to the devil for magical powers opts for both a modern re-envisioning of the myth and a traditional retelling of the tale involving folk puppets from Svankmajer's native Czechoslovakia, often blurring the line between the two. There are puppets interacting with actors, actors who are also puppets, and actors inside of giant puppets. At one point, a giant puppet head spawns other, smaller puppets, which fight with other puppets. I believe "surreal" is the best word here. Faust's mephisto in the modern tale looks like the man Faust himself, reminding us that we all create our own temptations. Several seemingly random events throughout the movie come together in a surprising and satisfying conclusion at the end. Definitely an art film, but one I truly enjoyed. A

Last edited by LitmusDragon; February 13 2010 at 02:51 AM.
LitmusDragon is offline   Reply With Quote