View Single Post
Old February 13 2010, 01:45 AM   #43
neozeks
Captain

Re: Was Picard wrong in I,Borg?

Timo wrote: View Post
Giving the Nazis a little bit of that famed Western thing they call mercy would have saved millions from the horrors of communism, while still winning the war, ending the Nazi evils, and making the world think a bit.
Um, how exactly would it end Nazi evils if you left the Nazis in power, with their armies intact (as you'd have to, or the Soviets would overrun them)? You'd rely on their word?
Who said anything about letting the Nazis win? Suffering would have been avoided by not letting the Allies win. That's completely different from giving victory to Hitler.
And I thought 'appeasment' was one of the mistakes that lead to the war in the first place...
A cease-fire for negotiations where the Nazis would be crushed would have had the side effect of stopping war on the other front as well, through stiffening German resistance and then through political pressure.
Or not. It's just as likely that Stalin would have felt betrayed, paid no heed to the West and continued the drive to Berlin (stiffening resistance? the Soviets crushed the Germans with 70 percent of the forces already there, I seriously doubt what the Germans had in the west would have changed a thing). And the confrontation between the West and the Soviets would have been ever more tense after that.

Though this doesn't really have much to do with Picard and the Borg...