View Single Post
Old February 9 2010, 09:19 PM   #193
CaptainCanada
Admiral

Re: Movies Seen in 2010

A Patch of Blue (1965) (aka Precious with white people [and Sidney Poitier]) [B+]

One of Poitier's lesser-known films, but I'd have to say this is one of my favourites. Poitier's character is out walking in the park one day and runs across a young blind girl named Selina, who he ends up befriending. Selina, he discovers, lives with her mom and grandfather; the latter is a drunk and indifferent to her most of the time, the former is a test-run for Mary from Precious (she blames her daughter for being blind despite that she's the one who caused it, and basically treats her like a servant, and has never bothered to get her any kind of help for her condition (she can't read Braille, doesn't have a dog or even a cane, etc.), and almost never leaves the apartment they lived in). Poitier's character tries to help her, and she starts to fall in love with him, though Poitier isn't sure a) if this is a good idea, socially, since he's black and b) if Selina, with her limited life experience is really ready for that sort of thing. This could easily be maudlin melodrama (the miseries piled on Selina at home just never seem to stop), but the leads carry it and make it relatable; Elizabeth Hartman as Selina has a Jack Lemmon-level sympathy-generating voice.

- Homer Simpson
CaptainCanada is offline   Reply With Quote