View Single Post
Old February 8 2010, 07:30 AM   #26
Cafcow
Ensign

View Cafcow's Twitter Profile
Re: My Star Trek fan art

Albertese wrote: View Post
I think your female characters look pretty good, but I wonder if it's just that they all have distinctive hairstyles. All the dudes look more or less the same. I think if you could find a way to characterize each person, they would read more like different characters. (This is especially true of the TOS crew. The the other crews have more gimmicks, like aliens and bald guys, but still...)Right now, they all basically have he same features. Try mixing it up with the jaw line and proportions. It can be tough when you are married to some particular style (in this case your take on anime). But look at most professionally designed characters and you'll see that the different characters are different enough to be distinguishable in just the uncolored line art of their heads.

Like I said, your girls are really good, but I'd like to see more variation on the guy's features.

--Alex
Yeah, guys have always been hard for me. Especially when I'm first trying out a new character. I do really need to work on getting different facial features and shapes.
For the most part I draw younger adults/teenagers (a reason why these character all look young) for my stories. So I often fall back to drawing it more like that.

Bones, Kirk, Spock
Scotty, Chekov, Uhura, Sulu,
Pike, Amanda, Sarek
Gaila, Winona Kirk, George Kirk

I though about putting Spock Prime in there too, but since I already had him in the TOS crew, and I had AOS Spock here I decided to leave him out.

I try coloring Kirk's eyes differently then I usually do because they are just so blue that you wouldn't get that sense with my normal eye-coloring style. I'm still playing with it. But you can see one of my earlier attempts here.
Chekov's hair came out too big.

Cafcow is offline   Reply With Quote