View Single Post
Old February 4 2010, 04:30 PM   #19
John Picard
Vice Admiral

Re: US retreat leaves China leading way in race to return to Moon

The Badger wrote: View Post
Jadzia wrote: View Post
What did our parents achieve? A level 80 death knight.
But would returning to the moon be an achievement?

If it was a full scale project, for purposes of scientific inquiry, then yes we should return. But to go back simply for the sake of going back is pointless. An ego boost for the American people, a moment of defiance, a shout of 'AMERICA, FUCK YEAH!'.
And this is how I view every single post from people here who constantly complain about going to Mars.

Me: "Why do we need to go to Mars?"
Them: "WHY?? WHY??? GEEZUSSFUCKINGAREYOUNUTS? BY THIS TIME IN STAR TREK THE ANTIGRAVOMETRIC SELF FLAGILATOR WAS INVENTED AND THE MARTIAN COLONIES WERE GOING FULL FORCE AND THEN IN THE SECOND GRADE I REMEMBER BEING TOLD THAT BY 2005 I'D BE TAKING A VACATION ON THE MOON BEFORE HEADING TO THE MINES OF MARS.....WE HAVE TO GO TO MARS....JUST....FUCKING....HAVE....TO!!!!!!!!"
Me:

In another Moon thread, there was the mention of going to the Moon to extract H3 to use as an energy source on Earth. If that were the purpose of returning to the Moon, then by all means do it. But if the intent is just to send three people there to collect rocks, hotwire the lunar buggy, and walk around for a bit -- then no.