View Single Post
Old February 3 2010, 06:04 AM   #169
CaptainCanada
Admiral

Re: Movies Seen in 2010

Double DVD review:

The Philadelphia Story (1940) & High Society (1956)

Contrary to what some think, remakes are nothing new in Hollywood, as these two films show; the original has Katharine Hepburn, Cary Grant, and Jimmy Stewart, though the remake stars Grace Kelly, Bing Crosby, and Frank Sinatra (and Louis Armstrong), so it's got some classic cred too. The latter is a musical (Cole Porter), providing its distinctive gimmick, while the former is a screwball comedy.

The former's much more successful, generally, because it's got great dialogue; Porter's music, which substitutes a lot fo the way through, is okay, but none of the songs really stuck with me. There's some really odd gender politics at work in both of them, though, particularly in the former, where the dad who cheated on his wife tells his daughter it was mainly her (the daughter's) fault and we're supposed to agree with him. The Philadelphia Story is the film that won Jimmy Stewart his only Oscar (an odd choice, really; surveying his filmography you could pick out probably four more likely candidates), and it's a fun performance.

Also, was Louis Armstrong always like he is in this movie? Because he acts like he just took a hit of cocaine.

- Homer Simpson
CaptainCanada is offline   Reply With Quote