Timecrimes [A]
Metropolis [A]
Pandorum [B ]
Raiders of the Lost Ark [A]
Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade [A]
Moon [A]
Fun with Dick and Jane [C]
Sunshine [C]

Fun with Dick and Jane: This Jim Carrey remake is far better than it has any right to be, which is probably due to the supporting cast, particularly Alec Baldwin and Richard Jenkins. Not much else to say. Won't be seeing it again.

Sunshine: Danny Boyle never ceases to underwhelm me. This film cost fifty million dollars, has a good cast, solid production design, and well-done visual effects. But I can't for the life of me understand how anyone green-lit the picture, or how anyone signed on to act in it, based on the script. Everyone talks about how the wheels come off the wagon in the third act--and, boy, do they come off--but the first two acts aren't especially groundbreaking, either. Characters make mistakes they should have been able to easily avoid, act out in ways that would be incredibly stupid in a real spacecraft, and it's best not to think to deeply about the science (forget about the sun dying out about five billion years too early, explain to me gravity onboard the ship...on second thought, don't).

And don't get me started on the appearance of Pinbacker. I assume Boyle never let's the camera focus on him because it would all but cement how cheesy and nonsensical the character is?

For fifty million dollars, Duncan Jones could have made Moon ten times. Alas.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote