View Single Post
Old February 2 2010, 12:51 AM   #153
thew40
Commander

Re: Treking through all Star Trek

I had something else planned here, but I think I'm going to save it for my TOS review. It was about making the transition from ENT to TOS. But screw it. Here's "The Cage" . . .

Series: The Original Series – Season One
Episode: “The Cage”
Trek Installment # 94
Grade: B+
Viewing Date: November 27, 2009

One hundred years later . . .

Wow. Just . . . wow. This is going to take some time to get used to. Leaping from “Terra Prime” to “The Cage” was a bit of a transition. I actually laughed pretty loudly when I saw the warp effect. And Spock’s “THE WOMEN!” Awesome.

But that being said, this was a great episode. It did a great job of talking about sex without even saying sex. There’s a ton of subtly here and I really appreciated it. I love the look and texture of Talos. It comes across as so vast and different, even down to the weird noise-making plants. And Rigel XII looks and feels completely different as well. Kudos on giving us some different planets.

One major criticism is that it feels like it’s an episode from the middle of a season. Spock’s limping, they’re on their way to Vega colony, and there was a battle on Rigel VII. It’s a lot of continuity.

However, I loved the episode and the crew. Pike is a great character and very well acted by Jeffery Hunter. His morose attitude and eventual rise up from that when going against the Talosians was very well executed. I liked Number One and Colt a lot – and Boyce. One of my favorite scenes was Boyce in Pike’s quarters, making him a martini. Excellent scene, capturing both characters so well.

As much as I love Kirk and company, I certainly would have been just fine sticking with these guys for a while.

Treking Through All Star Trek
Watching all Star Trek in chronological order
thew40 is offline   Reply With Quote