Star Trek: Online

Discussion in 'Trek Gaming' started by tranya, Nov 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ATimson

ATimson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You can always either burn your own copy, or if you're smart in choosing your digital download retailer (read: buy from Steam) just download it again.

2. Chaos Descending

Chaos Descending Vice Admiral Admiral

Is there any way to get any of those goodies (like the TOS uniforms) other than by pre-order? Will there be "micro transactions" in-game that allow you to purchase them?

3. Rincewiend

Rincewiend Admiral Admiral

Well, there is a ingame store with micro transactios, but i doubt you will be able to buy all those extras seperatly in the store or even straight away.
    I don't think the NX-prefix, the pets, the borg BO, the emotes or the ship will make it to the shop.
    I can see the uniforms and the weapons, shields, armour and the ship device and console make it to the shop.

4. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

Well I got the game perordered and got the lifetime subscription.

5. The Lensman

The Lensman Commodore Commodore

quick question for a MMO noob.....I'm going to pre-order from gamestop today...aside from purchasing the game, do I have to figure out a subscripton option at that point? How does that aspect work?

for those that have played the beta and head start.....do you get to have more than one ship? I'm going with gamestop to get the classic Enterprise...and while I know it's basically a beginner ship, I'd like to be able to fly around in it later if the mood strikes me.

6. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

No you can't get the subscription from the store you preorder the game from, you have to pick a subscription option on the game's site.

7. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

As someone who wants to purchase it, but is leery of gameplay, how does it "feel"? Does it have a "WoW" feel but in space? Or is it something completely different? Since they won't offer free trials for a while, I'm just very curious.

8. notwendium

notwendium Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It's more like City of Heroes in space... and yet not.
    The game is made by Cryptic, the same guys who built CoH (and later Champions Online, its spiritual successor).
    The ground combat is similar to those games, 90% of the time it's ranged and IMO they do a decent job of handwaving away the resiliancy of characters.
    You get a personal shield (something Starfleet's had for years but that we rarely saw due to budget reasons, ditto body armor).
    Aside from the scaling issues (go to DS9 and you'll really see it) the game is wonderful. Granted the scaling-up of everything is to accomodate the 3rd person view (if they scaled things proper ala elite force, you'd be looking down through the ceiling with the camera... it'd be messy).

The game isn't for idiots. You need to READ the quest text (something you can get away with not doing in WoW) to pick up on where to go, what to do, etc. IMO the way it should be.

The chat... dear gods the Sirius sector chat... retards ahoy!

9. Ayelbourne

Ayelbourne Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yeah, it's barren's chat all over again.

10. Arthur Frelling Dent

Arthur Frelling Dent Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Well, that was fun while it lasted. I had my new Dell exactly 16 days when the hard drive died last night. Grrrrr. I'll have to call Tech Support when I get home from work, but it looks most definitely dead. Obviously it's still under warranty so they should just send me a replacement but who knows how long that will take. Maybe Cryptic will finally get the STO server up by then. ;)

11. startrekrcks

startrekrcks Fleet Captain

I would love this game it looks awesome wonder if you can have a female captain

12. Chaos Descending

Chaos Descending Vice Admiral Admiral

^^^ Yes, you can have a female Captain.

13. strikefalcon

strikefalcon Commodore Commodore

Getting a Dell was your first mistake. I dunno what happened, but they've been using crap components in their machines recently. Bought a netbook of theirs for the wife and the whole thing fried and started coming apart at the monitor hinge after two months!

14. Amaris

Ah, I see. Thank you! :D

Yeah. Believe me when I tell you it's been more than just recently. ;)

15. Ronald Held

Ronald Held Vice Admiral Admiral

Waiting to pick mine up Wednesday and getting the extras.

16. Brent

Brent Admiral Admiral

I'm looking forward to buying this game tomorrow.

I thought about doing the download version, but I'd rather have the physical DVD in hand, not really going to get the collectors edition though, money is an issue and all, I'll just stick to the standard. Need to find out what subscription prices are though.

I'm highly looking forward to gaming in the 25th century!

17. Arthur Frelling Dent

D'oh! This Dell replaced another Dell which lasted nearly 8 years. My fiancee has a Dell laptop that's still going strong after about 5 years. Shame the quality has apparently gone downhill. In fairness though, for the whopping 16 days it was running, I was extremely pleased with the performance of my new PC.

Researching my current problem I've discovered that the Western Digital hard drive Dell used is a piece of crap and presumably they'll just send me another. I'm almost tempted to just go to a store and buy a good hard drive. I don't want to void my warranty though and I don't feel like coughing up more money for something that's Dell's fault.

18. Amaris

Well, Western Digital is superb in terms of performance and reliability. It's just that your hard drive has probably been dropped repeatedly and used dozens of times over. I used to work in Warranty, in the largest warranty facility Dell has, and specifically in that department, so I can tell you firsthand by seeing my coworkers, and that I'm not surprised.

19. Arthur Frelling Dent

Thanks, I don't want to disparage the wrong company. It's just that I read many posts on many websites about my specific brand and model of hard drive having a high failure rate.

Edited to add: I've since come across several polls and articles indicating that Western Digital is 2nd only to Seagate in reliability and value. Now I don't know who to believe! ;)

Last edited: Feb 1, 2010
  20. Brent

Brent Admiral Admiral

Well, I couldn't resist any longer, I just purchased the digital download deluxe edition on steam, downloading the Beta now, and I'll be playing tonight. I hope this transfers over to the full retail game tomorrow.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.