View Single Post
Old January 25 2010, 08:21 PM   #70
Brian
Vice Admiral

Re: A Niner Watches Babylon 5

I'm glad for the opportunity to revisit this series with a fresh eye. I hope you wind up enjoying it as much as I do, TheGodBen!

TheGodBen wrote: View Post
I mentioned the exposition earlier and it comes in two forms: reasonable and terrible.
Ugh. That is my primary issue with the show's writing. The writing is very good on this show, for the most part, and is oftentimes inspired. But exposition is its achilles heel. Claudia Christian (Ivanova) is the worst at it. Well, I don't know if it's her fault in the delivery, or if she was just the unlucky "stuckee" who got assigned most of it. There's a counter you should add. The number of times mind-numbing, heavy-handed exposition takes you right out of the story.

Sometimes it feels almost this bad:

Captain: "We're under attack. Who is it?"
Ivanova: "Well, as you know, we're on a station five miles long, with countless alien races aboard. The station has been referred to as our last, best hope for peace. But the green sector alone -- which, as you know, houses our ambassadorial delegations from Minbar (the people with the bones on their heads), Centauri Prime (the hair people), and the Narn (the lizard-men) -- makes us a prime target for attack. And I don't need to tell you, but with the situation back home with the Psi-Corps and the Homeguard movement, we have any number of people gunning for us. As you know."

In the fifth season, Lt. Corwin picks up the expositional torch where Ivanova left it.

TheGodBen wrote: View Post
There's another scene later where Dr Kyle explains that he is a changed man after seeing what Vorlons look like, and that only serves to make the earlier scene seem worse.
In a couple of seasons, Dr. Kyle's reaction will make perfect sense to you. That's all I'm sayin'.
Brian is offline   Reply With Quote