View Single Post
Old January 22 2010, 03:20 PM   #7
23skidoo
Admiral

Re: Is it me or is there something special about Twin Peaks?

Joe Washington wrote: View Post
I'm been watching episodes of Twin Peaks from the beginning and I'm hooked. The opening credits with its soothing music. The characters and their hidden layers that are exposed one by one with each passing episode. The sense of community in Twin Peaks and the feeling that it can be an actual place you would like to visit. Agent Cooper who's unlike any FBI agent character I've seen on TV. I love it all.
No, it's not just you. Back in 1990-91 Twin Peaks was huge, both in terms of fandom and in terms of the general public. It was the Lost of its day. Or the Heroes of its day might be a better comparison because, like Heroes, it just could not be sustained. Problem was when the second season came along, the network had pretty much forced its influence on the show and Lynch had to do things he didn't want to do (this according to the Gold Box DVD release, anyway). The show remained atmospheric and cool till the end, and there were some fantastic moments. And the ending was eerie. But the ending was also, for its time, the equivalent of, say, the Sopranos' cut to black or The Prisoner's Fall Out. And to this day some fans treat it the same way some Trekkies treat These Are the Voyages.

Lynch later tried to do a prequel movie, Fire Walk with Me, but it was a trainwreck. See if only if you must.

But that first season of Twin Peaks was as close to perfection as network TV got in the 1990s.

Alex
23skidoo is offline   Reply With Quote