View Single Post
Old January 18 2010, 06:46 PM   #196
Kegg
Rear Admiral

Re: When Will White People Stop Making Movies Like "Avatar"?

Dennis wrote: View Post
Actually, the article that touched this topic off is well-observed and well written. That white Americans, particularly males, are so thin-skinned as a group that they can make a controversy out of the obvious goes a long way toward making the writer's point.
This is very true. I'm surprised at the amount of 'oh, well, all racism is bad' or 'I'm more ashamed to be human' responses. What does that have to do with white guilt or the myth of the white man subsuming himself in the foreign culture? Avatar takes the fantasy a step further; Lawrence may bemoan the fact he's got blue eyes and white skin but Jake can literally surrender that identity.

Hermiod wrote: View Post
Agreed. As I said before, there's no such thing as "white people".
Course there are. Just because things aren't simple doesn't mean they're not so; there may be white Germans, white Irishmen, white Americans, but they've got this curious common denominator factor, can you guess what it'd be?

Heck I live on an island whose traditional racial hatreds were between two white groups and even I find this pretty obvious.