View Single Post
Old January 17 2010, 01:16 AM   #11
Rush Limborg
Vice Admiral

Re: January Challenge Entry: The Nature of the Beast

May I say, Nerys, that you have a talent for injecting long-term, resounding drama in your writing. I must say, while I tend to make concious efforts to make my tales as "literary" as possible, still, even at my best I could not top this, as far as such a "literary" tone is concerned.

(That, of course, is because whenever I write an "emotional" passage, I tend to write as if Less Is More--and it's hard to make it go long. My mind-meld sequence in "A Rendezvous With Destiny" is the closest I've ever gotten to something like this...)

Now...I have a slight problem--the implication that Humanity could not have overthrown their captors so effectively had they not been "adapted" to be more like Cardassians. While I could usually accept it--after all, humans as humans could have used different methods, yet still have been victorious--still, the fact that it was a Cardassian that actually started the rebellion....

I dunno. Maybe I'm whining too much on a "racial" note. As a whole, though, I loved it. My compliments.
"The saying implies but does not name the effective agency of its supposed utopia.... 'Needs and abilities' are, of course, subjective. So the operative statement may be reduced to 'the State shall take, the State shall give'."
--David Mamet
Rush Limborg is offline   Reply With Quote