View Single Post
Old January 14 2010, 08:13 PM   #84
Kegg
Rear Admiral

Re: Movies Seen in 2010

JacksonArcher wrote: View Post
Now I know how Jay Leno feels like.

Also, in regards to my thoughts on Inglourious Basterds: This is going to sound preachy but I had a problem with a movie that so gleefully plunged into the depths of violence without any regard whatsoever to the ethical consequences.
I'd say it actually addresses and is more conscious of those ethical consequences than pretty much any cartoonish film that casts the Nazis as bad guys.

The ethical logic of the film is willing to permit a wide range of people to be Nazis, even possibly sympathetic people - a young German kid who just wants to go back to his mother; a guy flushed over the birth of his child (and his rowdy pals), and of course, Daniel Bruehl, probably the most boyishly affable German actor around, the star of Goodbye Lenin! himself. There's even a little honour in the German soldier interrogated near the start of the movie, who says he got his medals for heroism.

Alright, so Bruehl is eventually revealed to be a bastard, but otherwise the film is pushing the bounds of what it means to be a Nazi, humanizing the Nazis... and still finding it entirely satisfying to go and crush their skulls. It's actually following through the premise of films like Indiana Jones to their logical conclusion: If you are a Nazi, then against you all is permitted. Given the utter and despicable savagery of the regime there's just about nothing you can do to a Nazi that gosh darn it isn't the right thing to do.

It manages to be self-conscious but also gleefully liberated in that sadism. It even gives us the whole thing in reverse, proving Hitler is evil because he's gleefully cackling while watching Americans get slaughtered in a movie.

It also helps, mind, that I am a very strong advocate of black comedy. Killing the family man is always an excellent punchline to me, but I recognise I'm not everybody.