View Single Post
Old January 13 2010, 10:01 PM   #28
Nick Ryder
Fleet Captain

Re: The Problems of Remastering TNG, DS9 & VOY

[QUOTE=
There's an old trick for watching low resolution video files with a better quality - play them on your PC and adjust the Windows resolution to 1024x768 or even 800x600. This way they look much better than when you watch them on a Full HD television screen. [/QUOTE]

"Old trick" wow... its already become an OLD TRICK? LOL

But yea that makes sense, providing someone has a computer hooked up to their TV. Although I forsee a day when most TVs will have a basic computer built right in, basically a glorified netbook built in to give it more extended PC functions and alternate ways of displaying content. With more and more video and such being served up online, a simple set top solution won't really be enough. I for one would love to be able to just open up my remote like a qwerty keyboard cell phone and pull up a web browser and play youtube or hulu videos on my tv, or hell play my own videos and such without having to put any kind of external drive up to my tv. In some ways the old WebTV was before its time, but all you really need is a couple inches in the back to hide an atom processor netbook and a bluetooth or rf receiver to link up to a remote keyboard either full size or built into the remote.

Once that day occurs and even old TV shows can play in a more native resolution on the High Def... we'll have to do work arounds. Honestly unless they SERIOUSLY remaster and add to the old TNG/DS9/VOY/ENT DVDs, I will never buy the BluRays. Other than maybe space saving, like if they can put all episodes from a season on like 2-3 bds, there's no real reason to upgrade.

I would love to see at least the first 3 seasons of TNG redone they look the most dated of the 7. Even DS9 wasn't that bad. TNG still reused a lot of TOS style effects and set work. I'd love to see the old "planet hell" set (like the one they used for Skin of Evil and Q-Who that ep where Riker was made into a Q - there were so many Q eps with similar names) sort of remapped or something so it looks less like a set.