View Single Post
Old January 12 2010, 09:23 PM   #512
Nerys Ghemor
Vice Admiral
Re: Star Trek: Sigils and Unions--The Thirteenth Order

Rush Limborg wrote: View Post
Nerys Ghemor wrote: View Post
You know, I've never watched 24--but from what I've heard, I can see where you get that.
Well...there's a particular moment from the very first episode, where Jack stares out of his office, looking like he's feeling very alone, as he says to his second in command, " can look the other way once, and it's no big deal--except it makes it easier to do it again, and again...until that's all you're doing, is compromising--because you think that's how it's done...."

He's torn because of how much he's changed already, because of his job...and he knows all too well that more changing is ahead.
That's very much how I think it is for Spirodopoulos, seeing himself in the mirror. He really sees the enormity of what he's done, and the situation that he's now in...there's no way he can forget that fact when he sees himself dressed like a Cardassian soldier.

I'm very glad you liked the Spirodopoulos-Macet interaction...putting those two together is definitely something I enjoy because they play so nicely off of each other.

...As for Starfleet's reaction to all of this...well, if he gets home, we'll have to see!
Yup. That pair is awesome. At the very least...surely Gul Macet will put in a good word for him...and in the interests of peaceful relations with the Union, surely the Federation will respect Macet's wishes that Spiro be rewarded for his bravery.
Based on what we've seen so far, I think Macet's impressed.

BTW--I see Spiro is a veteran of AR-558. Whould this be during or after the episode?
This takes place after that episode; Spirodopoulos would've arrived there after the Defiant left.

I assume a longer timeline between episodes in the final arc than some people do, though--the strict year-to-season correspondence is not something I hold to, and I actually see a span of four months between Septimus III (about when the story opens) and the Battle of Cardassia Prime. Sometimes in war it takes longer for things to transpire than you'd think, and THIS particular war really reminds me of World War II as opposed to, say, something like either Gulf War, or the conflicts Israel has been involved in--a longer timeframe rather than a quick, decisive thing.

I think he's matured enough, by the time of the films, to be willing to get off the stupid high-horse and get his hands dirty once in a while.
I think First Contact was a real wake-up call. He'd faced the Borg, faced Madred, and got back up on the high horse, but then THIS encounter and something very different in him emerges. My personal theory, anyway.

Mistral wrote: View Post
Starfleet's reaction is worth exploring, IMO. Another fine installment! Keep it up!
Thanks! That's something I'm definitely giving a lot of thought to, though I think that'll take quite awhile to get to.
Are you a Cardassian fan, citizen? Prove your loyalty--check out my fanfic universe, Star Trek: Sigils and Unions. Or keep the faith on my AU Cardassia, Sigils and Unions: Catacombs of Oralius!
Nerys Ghemor is offline   Reply With Quote