View Single Post
Old January 12 2010, 10:24 AM   #25
USS KG5
Vice Admiral

Re: The Problems of Remastering TNG, DS9 & VOY

bbailey861 wrote: View Post
That is unfortunate if only for the fact that with the proliferation of larger and larger HDTV screens, all older TV shows - not just ST - don't look all that great when played. It is almost to the point now where I only want to watch HD signals or Blu-rays on the large screen. If I want to watch anything else I go to the Sony CRT. When it goes, I'll need to get a 'small' HDTV so the signal still remains relatively decent. There is, of course, upscaling, but frankly the quality of the picture is still noticeable. I would hope than in the future, technology will be in a position to be able to overcome the problems that exist now with transfers. Don't really know enough about these things, though.
Thing is though the TNG and DS9 series will never look as good as Blu Ray can look, or even close, without some truly massive work. Not just remastering but almost reconstruction. They were shot on cheap film and while they look better on DVD than say, the first three seasons of Buffy, they do not look very good.

Can't you just enjoy the story? Sometimes that really does have to be enough. Any brand new Trek show will doubtless be in HD with state-of-the-art effects and you will be able to look back on TNG much as many old shows as "of its time".