View Single Post
Old January 8 2010, 08:54 PM   #50
J. Allen
Dancing on Rainbows

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen
Re: Netflix and Warner Brothers Reach Deal

Scout101 wrote: View Post
Just an odd question, after reading through some of this thread: Why are so many people so happy with the Netflix service, if the common experience seems to be rarely getting new releases anytime near when they come out?

I use the Blockbuster Online service (basically the same thing, less streaming), and rarely get stuck waiting for a new release movie. Sometimes have to wait a long time for old, less-mainstream releases, but I get new releases pretty quickly. I put most of them in when they are in the theaters, and it just bumps them up to available when released, and off they go. I have a blockbuster near me, and instead of mailing the movie back, I can just trade it in at the store for another movie, which helps in the rare cases where a movie I want has a long wait time.

Just seems like everyone is raving about the service, while all having the same complaint about inability to get new releases in a timely manner. I'd be pissed about that, because I'm paying for this service to AVOID having to pay in a store. If the solution to getting movies I want quickly is to go in and pay the store anyway, the service isn't much of a benefit, IMO.
I have never had any trouble with Netflix, the rates are cheaper than Blockbuster Online, and their customer service is top notch. I just get a much better value from Netflix. I tried Blockbuster Online, and they managed to screw up 3 shipments in 2 weeks, their customer service charged me for two "lost" DVDs, and it took a month to get them to reverse the charges, and they were not friendly doing it.

Hermiod wrote: View Post
For performance reasons, even with games like WoW you still need client software on your PC and you still need to download the maps, textures, models etc. Your average Internet connection is insufficient. Watching a movie is, for all intents and purposes, a one-way experience. You don't really need a great deal of two-way control.

There are a few players offering to stream games but the technology isn't there yet.
It will be. All I was saying is that people are getting used to the idea of playing solely online, and that a game like World of Warcraft would be absolutely useless if the PC didn't have an internet connection.
"Anger is an acid that can do more harm to the vessel in which it is stored than to anything on which it is poured." - Mark Twain
J. Allen is offline   Reply With Quote