View Single Post
Old January 8 2010, 07:29 PM   #47
Hermiod
Admiral

Re: Netflix and Warner Brothers Reach Deal

J. Allen wrote: View Post

No, they're not. They're both digital, they both require a server side, they both require an account stored on the server, and they can be viewed at any time and require no physical media. They are very similar. There were no online only games at the level of WoW in 2000. Everquest had just came out and a lot has changed since then.

Also, I'm talking about what's coming. The future. The future is online streaming. We're seeing the first steps now, but the future is online streaming. I'm repeating myself because I have already said this, and you're still talking about paying $15 for something right now. The future is online streaming.
For performance reasons, even with games like WoW you still need client software on your PC and you still need to download the maps, textures, models etc. Your average Internet connection is insufficient. Watching a movie is, for all intents and purposes, a one-way experience. You don't really need a great deal of two-way control.

There are a few players offering to stream games but the technology isn't there yet.
Hermiod is offline   Reply With Quote