View Single Post
Old January 8 2010, 07:54 AM   #600
SgtPinback
Ensign

Location: Benson, Arizona... just kidding--that's a Dark Star reference
Re: TNG fans please identify yourselves ...

Hi! Sgt. Pinback here. I'm 37, which means that TNG debuted at the beginning of (or possibly just before) my first year of high school. I was not impressed with the show until its third season, and even said some negative things about the first two seasons when they were first broadcast. Early TNG has a very few merits, though. There are good early episodes here and there, and the generally really awful 1987 premiere episode "Encounter At Farpoint" made an unexpectedly excellent framing device ("bookending" might be a better term) for the final episode "All Good Things..."

What I like about TNG is that the writers/ producers did not try to directly recapture the magic of TOS. What I sometimes don't like about TNG is that it usually lacked that magic, even in its better episodes; there wasn't the sense of "high-seas adventure" that TOS frequently had. Apples and oranges, I guess.

I prefer Kirk to Picard, although that's another classic case of apples and oranges. Patrick Stewart is a virtuoso, whereas Shatner is an entertainer. It's no coincidence that I find Kirk much more entertaining.

But I really am a TNG fan, no doubt about it. Seasons 3, 4, and 5 are almost uniformly brilliant, and seasons 6 and 7 are pretty darned good.

"Best Of Both Worlds" may have the best cliffhanger ever devised in the history of television.
SgtPinback is offline   Reply With Quote