View Single Post
Old January 5 2010, 09:58 AM   #14
Zachary Smith
Vice Admiral

Re: Frank Darabont's The Mist *SPOILERS*

Shurik wrote: View Post
Zachary Smith wrote: View Post
I HATED the ending. It was a freaking IDIOT plot ending. How MANY abandoned cars with tanks FULL of gas did they drive past? How many abandoned GAS stations? These people were NOT stupid and they did NOT wish to die. Yes, I can accept that in a moment of crisis after so much trial that they might have lost hope. But it is unacceptable to me that these characters simply IGNORED the gas needle creeping toward "empty" as they drove mile after mile after MILE along major highway and doubtless through towns and cities (conveniently NOT shown) to run their tanks dry in a godforsaken remote location with no hope of finding fuel. It was stupid and purposefully not shown because in the minds of most audience's what you don't see on screen doesn't matter and makes no difference. It bugs me that there was NO WAY these characters could get where they went without passing probably THOUSANDS of opportunities for fuel, yet they didn't bother.

Then, the gimmick ending which was telegraphed a hundred miles away annoyed me to no end. I much preferred King's original ambiguous yet HOPEFUL ending.
They were afraid to leave the car, even for a few minutes, after what they saw in previous few days. I think they lost the last bits of hope when they saw that giant animal crossing their path.

I loved this film and the ending.

I understand they were afraid to leave the car, but they were not children. The HAD to leave the car, the same way they HAD to leave the grocery. To stay in the car without refueling was CERTAIN death. To at least ATTEMPT refueling was to attempt to stay alive.

I enjoyed the movie until the last few minutes. Enjoyed it immensely, in fact. And had the characters died in an attempt at refueling or in some effort to save themselves, I could have at least respected that. As it was, their choice to run the car out of gas and then just . . . kill themselves . . . did not FIT the personalities of these characters and was fully inconsistent with their behavior and attitudes up to that point. They CHOSE to make a desperate situation hopeless by their actions.

I'm glad you enjoyed it and I don't begrudge you that. Taste in these matters is certainly subjective. I, on the other hand, did NOT enjoy the last few minutes of an otherwise fine movie. It's a REAL shame that there was not an alternate ending filmed consistent with King's original conclusion. In fact, that would have made a very nice promotion for the film. Audiences in one theater see the down-beat ending. Audiences in another theater see the more hopeful ending. Would have been a pretty cool way to get repeat business.

My favorite TV show is "Cool Hand Luke Skywalker--Texas Ranger". The best episode is the one where he fights Samantha's wacky Sith Lord Uncle, Darth Arthur . . ."
Zachary Smith is offline   Reply With Quote