View Single Post
Old January 3 2010, 05:32 AM   #54
Mysterion
Rear Admiral

Re: One bigass ret-Khan they would need to do...

Jeyl wrote: View Post
Mysterion wrote: View Post
The problem isn't in having the same characters. The problem is taking those characters into new stories and situations.
Why can't the same thing happen with Khan? Take his character and give him a new situation to deal with that gives us a new story? Just because a previous character appears doesn't mean it's going to involve the same story or situation.
I'll try to explain my point one more time: It's a total waste, IMO, to take the clean slate Abrams has laid out and use it to just re-jigger stories that have already been told. If you want to see The Wrath of Khan or Space Seed, those stories are already available.

From the ending of the most recent movie, the Enterprise, Kirk, Spock, and everyone else can literally go anywhere story-wise. Wouldn't it be more fun and exciting if the folks making the movies took full advantage of this rather than re-hash a 42 year old tv episode, or a 25 year old movie that you've already seen?

Yes, the movie did involve familar character we already know, but we saw them doing new things. We'd never seen a story about how the crew of the Enterprise met on screen. Now we have. We hadn't seen Kirk facing the Kobyashi Maru Test, now we have.

I'd much rather see the next movie take us and the Enterprise somehwere we have not been yet. Tell me a new story. If they're just gonna re-make old TOS epsidoes or movies, then what's the point? I love those episodes and movies, don't get me wrong, but I've already seen them. Show me something new.

Do you understand my point now?