View Single Post
Old January 3 2010, 02:55 AM   #2592
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

Re: The Official STAR TREK Grading & Discussion Thread [SPOILERS]

archeryguy1701 wrote: View Post
BurntSynapse wrote: View Post
Wynterhawk wrote: View Post
No, it means critically thinking about a movie. If you want to blindly swallow the movie as is that's your prerogative.
I don't think people who are sufficiently emotionally invested in the film (meaning the lack a basic moral commitment critical thinking) should be urged to apply logic in situations like this. They nearly always resent such attempts, attack the suggester, and become even more hostile to rationality and those who follow such worldviews generally.

Good thinking is a process of growth, step by step, and objective, reasonable people should acknowledge this applies to themselves and others - which is really difficult with zealots. Nevertheless, we are obligated to a higher standard than those who have not had our educational/experiential advantages. Yes?
Was that really needed? OK, there are things about the new movie that bothers you. No big deal. But does the fact that it doesn't bother some other people mean that they are unable to think critically, are zealots, or are educationally/experientially disadvantaged?
No, it does not, and BurntSynapse, allow me to suggest that, while critiquing the film is well and good--it's why we're here, after all--critiquing other posters is something you'll want to steer clear of.

BurntSynapse wrote: View Post
I don't think people who are sufficiently emotionally invested in the film (meaning the lack a basic moral commitment critical thinking) should be urged to apply logic in situations like this. They nearly always resent such attempts, attack the suggester, and become even more hostile to rationality and those who follow such worldviews generally.
The above paragraph in particular would have been better left unsaid. (I'm not even sure the first sentence really makes sense, in fact -- some words appear to be missing or misspelled, rendering the meaning unclear, but it's not very complimentary, is it?) The second paragraph wasn't much of an improvement. If you feel you must condescend, perhaps another venue would be more appropriate -- your blog, for example.

While we're on the topic of things left unsaid:

startrekrcks wrote: View Post
No are you thinking I should pick out bad things about the movie when it is obvious I like the whole film.
startrekrcks, sometimes the best response is to say nothing at all. Do try to work a little harder on that.

Last edited by M'Sharak; January 3 2010 at 04:49 AM. Reason: wording
M'Sharak is offline   Reply With Quote