View Single Post
Old January 3 2010, 02:27 AM   #2591
archeryguy1701
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to archeryguy1701
Re: The Official STAR TREK Grading & Discussion Thread [SPOILERS]

BurntSynapse wrote: View Post
Wynterhawk wrote: View Post
No, it means critically thinking about a movie. If you want to blindly swallow the movie as is that's your prerogative.
I don't think people who are sufficiently emotionally invested in the film (meaning the lack a basic moral commitment critical thinking) should be urged to apply logic in situations like this. They nearly always resent such attempts, attack the suggester, and become even more hostile to rationality and those who follow such worldviews generally.

Good thinking is a process of growth, step by step, and objective, reasonable people should acknowledge this applies to themselves and others - which is really difficult with zealots. Nevertheless, we are obligated to a higher standard than those who have not had our educational/experiential advantages. Yes?
Was that really needed? OK, there are things about the new movie that bothers you. No big deal. But does the fact that it doesn't bother some other people mean that they are unable to think critically, are zealots, or are educationally/experientially disadvantaged? Does the movie have issues? Sure. Find me a movie that doesn't. But as long as I continue to be entertained and those issues don't pull me out of the movie, I'm not going to get my skivvies in a twist over it. I suppose if that's the sign of an uneducated zealot, I'm just going to have to live with that.

Sometimes you just gotta roll the hard six- Bill Adama
archeryguy1701 is offline   Reply With Quote