View Single Post
Old December 31 2009, 03:38 AM   #3
shivkala
Rear Admiral

Re: Marvel Teases Year of Spider-Man

I had a brief Spider-Man phase when JMS took over the title, but shortly after issue #50 (whatever the renumbering was), I got bored with the title and gave it up (a good bit before the whole Gwen/Norman thing, so I guess I had good timing). The bits I've seen of the "Brand New Day" stories haven't made me want to get the character. I know the original thought was "Geeky protagnoist means the reader can identify with them," but I think that's why I like Hal Jordan so much. I didn't want to identify with the geek who got powers, I wanted to pretend I was the macho guy who got powers.

I do have to laugh when companies declare "The Year Of..." because more times than not, it's the other characters in the company's stable who shine during the year, not the one the company picked. DC's tried several "Year of Superman" campaigns, but other characters, such as Green Lantern, Flash, etc. have always come out with better stuff and generated more interest.
"When I reach for the edge of the universe, I do it knowing that along some paths of cosmic discovery, there are times when, at least for now, one must be content to love the questions themselves." --Neil deGrasse Tyson
shivkala is offline   Reply With Quote