View Single Post
Old December 30 2009, 12:49 AM   #1731
Christopher
Writer

Re: Cast the Characters of Trek Literature

Jasminder is basically a Hindu, but she's a student of all faiths. Hinduism tends to be a very inclusive religious tradition, and Jasminder is a curious and cosmopolitan sort of person. Also, she was born and raised on Deneva over 300 years in the future, so it's safe to assume she's not a traditionalist.

And aren't you mixing up your cultural references? Saffron robes are worn by Buddhist monks. The bindi forehead mark is a Hindu thing, sometimes just a decoration, sometimes a prerogative of married women. Mahatma Gandhi was a Hindu. And how does a Hindu woman return to her roots by embracing an entirely different religion?

As for casting, the best candidate I've seen so far is Janina Gavankar, though she's at least a dozen years too young. David Mack's choice is Rekha Sharma from Battlestar Galactica, but I don't like her much. My mental image of Jasminder is based on a real person, a counselor who helped me deal with a difficult problem once. She looked sort of like an Indian equivalent of Marjean Holden, tall, strong, and regal. Or at least that's how I remember her.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote