View Single Post
Old December 27 2009, 03:18 AM   #324
S. Gomez
Rear Admiral

Re: Movies Seen in 2009

I only saw four films in theatres, with one of them being just a matter of days ago. Most of the movies I see are on DVD. The four I saw in theatres were: Frost/Nixon, Star Trek, Up, and Avatar. I thought all of them were worth the big screen, though one by virtue of the visuals alone.

A lot of older films got watched by me this year, especially in the science fiction category. Some were classics that I finally got around to watching: All The King's Men, Sunset Boulevard, Passage To Marseille, Gilda, The Thing From Another World, Captain Blood, Laura, Possessed, The Day The Earth Stood Still, Forbidden Planet, In The Heat of The Night, Rocketship X-M, The Third Man (technically a rewatch, but I hardly remembered a thing from the first time), and The Wizard of Oz. Also in the field of classic movies is the Thin Man franchise with William Powell and Myrna Loy; the last one is waiting for me to pick it up from the library.

I caught up with the Pixar movies I hadn't seen with WALL-E and Cars. Loved them both.

This holiday season also marks the appearance of a Blu-ray player in our house after winning a 42" HDTV in a draw (surprise!) and realizing we couldn't get away with a standard DVD player on the old 32". I have yet to see any movies for the first time on the format, all the ones I've watched have been returning titles: Up, Ratatouille, WALL-E, and The Good, The Bad, And The Ugly.

Although not technically movies, I also feel compelled to include the new Battlestar Galactica TV show, which blew me away as one of the best works of science fiction I've ever seen. In the same camp, I began catching up with the new Doctor Who and Torchwood.