View Single Post
Old December 24 2009, 07:00 PM   #11
Robert Maxwell
Not Your Toy

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell
Re: When Will White People Stop Making Movies Like "Avatar"?

exodus wrote: View Post
Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post
exodus wrote: View Post
White guilt fantasy?

I think when we stop viewing the oppression of a people/race and/or culture as a fantasy and start understanding this stuff is real and happens in places all around the world everyday, even in your own backyard. When we all unite and activily take a stance against it, then maybe we can move foward.

It's sad when you have to talk down to people by creating fictional blue "elves" as victims to get a message of social & environmental injustice accross.
Then how on Earth do you enjoy Star Trek, which is at least as allegorical as Avatar on race relations issues?
Trek is still fiction.
Suddenly we are a people united, that ended hunger, poverty, prejudice & war....................with no solution or clue to how we did it. They want us to believe Vulcans came down & we didn't try to kill them & steal their technology after the 3rd world war left us living in tents and wearing clothes made from animal skins.

So either you're made to feel guilty about how the world is or you sweep it all under the rug and make it magically disappear.
I guess I am missing your point here. Is there anyone of any significance who really believes this kind of oppression didn't and doesn't happen? I don't think Avatar was trying to push any kind of persuasive message. People who agree with its basic premise aren't going to learn anything new from it. People who are pissed that the military and corporate types were portrayed as the bad guys will just roll their eyes and move on. The most you could get from Avatar is that displacing an indigenous population to make a buck is wrong. Insurrection had more or less the same plot. It's not new, and here it wasn't done in such a way as to be subtle or insidious. It's right in your face. Anyone who disagrees with it probably wouldn't go see it in the first place, or would walk out.

I think this is less a case of a movie beating people over the head with its message and more that pretty much everyone already buys into and acknowledges the message, so the story is just window dressing for the special effects (which quite a few have argued.)
My blog