View Single Post
Old December 24 2009, 06:39 AM   #3
deadman_uk
Commander

Re: Saw My First TOS episode!

Anticitizen wrote: View Post
deadman_uk wrote: View Post
I've seen all major Star Trek shows (ENT, TNG, DS9, VOY) with exception of TOS. I managed to get hold of TOS this week (Re-mastered edition) and just saw the first episode (The Cage Extended Version). I have to say, I am very impressed. To be honest, I put TOS off because it's the 60's with poor special effects etc but from what I've seen so far, it is pretty good and much better than I first thought. Are further episodes good like this?

What I don't understand is why Captain Pike is in command and I am not sure how/when Kirk comes into it. I guess I will find out soon enough.
Yes, there are many more great episodes.

Kirk is not in The Cage because The Cage was the first pilot for Star Trek, filmed and used to sell the show to the network. Jeffery Hunter (Pike) was originally cast as the ship's captain. The first 'real' pilot is Where No Man Has Gone Before, with Shatner as Kirk in the role.

Most of the footage from 'The Cage' is re-used in a semi-flashback sort of episode called 'The Menagerie'.
I'm confused, if the first official pilot was "Where no man has gone before" which is episode 1x03, what about 1x01 (The man trap) and 1x02 (Charlie-X)?? These have Shatner in them, so he was introduced BEFORE the pilot?
deadman_uk is offline   Reply With Quote