View Single Post
Old December 22 2009, 05:41 AM   #9
Shaw
Commodore

Re: Adobe the year 2009's most hacked software

Marc wrote: View Post
Good thing to - otherwise it would cost them twice as much given the thing is pain in the arse to support and I've had to wipe a client's system a couple of times becase Adobe CS fucked up (though in this instance it was a legal copy of CS just not a very reliable one).
Wow... that is a curious statement.

I've been using Photoshop since the early 90s and have been providing tech support for both independent graphic designers, graphic design houses and magazines for more than a decade now and have never (not once) wiped a client's system because of an Adobe product (or any single application that I can recall either). How does an application take a system to that point of no return?

In the economic climate that I've faced in the last year (with few people able to afford upgrades or extras for their systems) something like that would have increased business for me as I support more than 30 client's systems that have some version of Adobe's professional software on them. Other than moving from PowerPC to Intel based systems (which caused issues with older versions of Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign and Acrobat Pro), Adobe products don't generate a lot of phone calls for me.

Of course, the only time I usually get to wipe a client's system is when they are getting ready to sell their old systems... I can't imagine using it as a remedy for software issues.

Robert Maxwell wrote:
I get the impression nobody pays for Photoshop.
-and-
Joy To The World wrote:
Maybe if they charged a respectable amount for it then people would buy it. As it stands now only business and people with money to burn buy. Everyone else I know just uses a pirated copy.
None of my clients are using a pirated version of Adobe's software (but then again, it is Adobe's software that is helping pay the bills), and I've always owned all the software I use (including multiple copies of Photoshop since the early 90's).

I don't make a lot of money, so I've always let my software pay for itself. If I needed software for a job, I found that many places (like Adobe) offer 30 day trials. This is long enough to do the work that pays for the software. If the software doesn't pay for itself, then it must not have been worth it for me.

People who can't afford it don't need it. People who need it, it'll pay for itself. People who want it just to have it complain about the price (even though Photoshop Elements is under hundred dollars).

Of course I doubt I'm one of Adobe's favorite people as I firmly believe in a if it ain't broke, don't fix it policy with software, and discourage upgrades unless their is a compelling reason. And I've told friends at Adobe as much (and they privately agree with me).

But I don't know anyone who uses Adobe's products that doesn't pay. Maybe you guys should reconsider the type of element you are associating with if you see pirating as normal.
Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote