View Single Post
Old December 19 2009, 02:58 AM   #316
Kegg
Rear Admiral

Re: Movies Seen in 2009

Finally got around to seeing Veronica Guerin, and it was pretty much what I expected. Very much a standard Hollywood film hitting all the right notes (though well, it should be said) and with a particularly good performance from Cate Blanchett.

What bothered me most about this film was the music, which I guess most strongly colours it as an outsider film. Not that the music is bad, but that even with the orchestral arrangement, it's rather, er, Irish - which no doubt makes sense to foreign audiences, but to me this seems as apropos as playing traditional American styles over The Godfather.

Also, contra the movie, I have no idea where I was when I heard Veronica Guerin died, or remember the event at all (idle guess: I was probably playing Quake). I don't know, I remember where I was when I heard Princess Diana died, so I feel vaguely guilty about that now (read: not really). Hollywood's desire for a Big Meaningful Conclusion right down to Guerin's death 'turning the tide in the drug war' (you just know they wanted to have it End Drugs Forever or something) did also somewhat rankle, but not really as I knew about that twist when the film was released and hearing peole react to it.