View Single Post
Old December 15 2009, 01:39 AM   #71
Rush Limborg
Vice Admiral

Re: Star Trek: A Rendezvous With Destiny--A Tale of Captain Ezri Dax

KJ_A wrote: View Post
Sorry I have not commented on the last three parts of the story sooner. It is interesting that Ezri is still having such a hard time with how her relationship with Julian Basher ended. I thought you had her come to terms with her choice in "Of Power and Passion."
So did she.

And frankly, I must admit...so did I. But when I wrote that tale...I actually hadn't read the relaunch. I had actually thought that Ezri was right--that there wasn't anything particularly "deep" about the break-up, and that it was something she could recover from quickly enough, once she realized her problem.

When I took the time to look through the Julian/Ezri arc in the relaunch, though, it struck me that the Ezri's justification in "Power", and her assertion that she could move on, was not nearly as "resolving" as I thought it would be. There was too much...darkness, shall I say?...in how it dissolves, to simply have her brush it off.

So...I reconciled this in that last scene, where Ezri is truly shocked at the fact that she hasn't recovered.

(And...if you go back to the first scene in this tale, note the blue sculpture in her ready room. Yes...it's the same one.)

I also must say that this story is making more sense now that I read "A Singular Destiny" last week. Looking forward to more Spock and Ezri.
Thanks.

I read your other Ezri story's and I have a question. What is it that makes you like Ezri more than Jadzia? To me the change from one to the other did not even jar me. It was like going from one Doctor to the next in Dr. Who. the character was still Dax.
Well...a lot of things. It would take too long to explain here, but...there is an old "Jadzia vs. Ezri" thread in the DS9 forum, where I went into a lot of my reasons.

Suffice it to say...Ezri has a gentler spirit--and there's an admittedly childlike enthusiasm about her that appeals to me a great deal....

"Forget it, Jake...it's Chinatown."

Last edited by Rush Limborg; December 15 2009 at 03:51 AM.
Rush Limborg is offline   Reply With Quote