View Single Post
Old December 11 2009, 04:32 AM   #509
Harvey
Admiral

Re: Star Trek TNG Remastered?

To be fair, the existing DVDs might be replaced with remastered DVDs in stores, just as Paramount did with the Star Trek remastered DVDs. Of course, if those discs (and I'm not sure on this count) included the same seamless branching episodes as the Blu-Ray release did, then fine. There's the originals and the new versions, both in glorious SD. And that's good enough for me. I'm not looking to buy Blu-Rays for old SD content.

Now, if Star Trek the Next Generation goes the same route as its predecessor on Blu-Ray and creates new CGI effects, just be sure to include both the original effects (upconverted) and the new effects (true HD) via seamless branching. And that's enough for me.

On the other hand, if they choose to recomposite the effects from the film elements, and are sometimes forced to recreate the odd effect that was created on video, it's not a big deal to me. If they're re-creating and odd effect here or there to look identical, only in HD, I don't mind or care. The Star Trek remastered project had a different approach, creating new visual effects, which is why the preservation of both old and new effects on that project was the way to go.

And thanks for the link to that magazine, Prologic9. If you ever find it online, send a copy my way. I'd rather note shell out the 4.50 + shipping for a photocopied back issue.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote