View Single Post
Old December 10 2009, 04:37 PM   #754
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

Re: TheGodBen Revisits Enterprise

SFRabid wrote: View Post
I'm glad you put this note in because I was totally clueless and wondered if it is because I am totally clueless.
Behold Countdown, one of the longest running gameshows in the world, entertainment for millions of pensioners, the unemployed and stoned students. I only ever watched it for the number rounds because I was good at those, in the letter rounds the best I could normally manage was a 5 or 6 letter word.

Zero Hour (***)

This was one of the most difficult scoring decisions I've made this year (I'll explain why later on) because if the final shot had been the crew on the bridge seeing Earth from a distance and the relief they feel from seeing that the planet is safe it would would have been a 7 rather than a 6. But then the episode throws a ridiculous curveball with WW2 fighters and some sort of space fascist. A part of me considered not scoring that part until Storm Front, but in the end I came to the conclusion that the problem is with this episode for introducing the mess rather than Storm Front which was stuck with it.

Zero Hour is a bit of a step down from the last two weeks because there's not much more that could be done with the plot, Archer destroys the weapon while Enterprise destroys the doom spheres. The Archer story plays out as you would expect; Archer and co board the weapon and blow it up, but not before Archer gets into a fight to the death with Dolim. The first time I saw this I thought it it was cheesy as hell; Archer wins the fight by sticking a bomb to Dolim's back, and then he runs down a catwalk away from the exploding core. It's like something from a crap Hollywood action movie. This time I still thought it was cheesy as hell, but I was in the mood for it so I didn't let it bother me. What did bother me was the complete absence of Starfleet at Earth, Shran showing up is all well and good but I would have preferred to see a few more Starfleet ships surrounding the weapon in a last desperate attempt to save Earth.

Then there's the plot where Enterprise destroys the spheres, which is as standard a Trek plot as you're going to get; Enterprise flies into an anomaly and fires a blue light from the deflector to destroy the spheres. It's very Voyager. It wraps itself up too neatly by having all the spheres destroy themselves, but I do like how this episode manages to cleverly resolve some of the continuity conflicts this season brought by removing the expanse from existence. The episode also provides moments for all the main cast, even Travis gets a scene where he has to use his skill to fly into the anomaly on thrusters alone. And while Archer's "death" did lead to one of the stupidest scenes in the whole show, the first time I saw the episode I began to believe they had actually killed him, which I thought was a brave thing to do.

It's not the strongest note to end the Xindi arc on, but the episode resolves things competently for the most part. As Zefram Cochrane once said, "That'll do pig, that'll do."

Archer Abuse: 27
Captain Redshirt: 30