View Single Post
Old December 9 2009, 01:29 PM   #474
JJohnson
Captain

Re: Star Trek TNG Remastered?

SoM wrote: View Post
JJohnson wrote: View Post
if TNG were filmed on 35 mm, does that mean there's more visual information out to the sides which would enable the crew to re-crop it to 1.78:1 or some other widescreen, without cropping the top/bottom?
Not significantly. The shooting ratio was ~1.37:1, barely wider than the 1.33:1 (4:3) it was transmitted as. If you wanted widescreen, you'd still lose ~23% of the picture to do it, which I wouldn't consider worth it, since TNG was framed for 4:3, not 16:9. As you can see in the following link - http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/in...ent_vs_tng.htm - where they not only needed to crop the small amount of TNG stock footage used, but also stretched it.
Very good article with good information in it. I would hope there would be no distortion of the frame in an eventual remastering; however, I would like to see some additional information left/right of the original frame included, if for anything than an overall improvement of the content over the original - if they remaster the entire usable frame, why not just show it off? I'd be fine with a 1.37:1 frame, so long as it doesn't include any materials we weren't supposed to see (boom mikes, etc.).

James
JJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote