View Single Post
Old December 8 2009, 03:43 AM   #54
Rush Limborg
Vice Admiral

Re: Star Trek: A Rendezvous With Destiny--A Tale of Captain Ezri Dax

^Thanks, tenmei!

All righty, folks. Now...somethin' big is being built up here. Hope y'all like it!

Star Trek: Aventine
A Rendezvous With Destiny
Scene 11

The next morning, Ezri walked over to the replicator of the shuttle. “Fanalian tea…hot.” As the drink formed, she turned to Spock. “Would you like anything?”

“Water will suffice, Captain—room temperature.”

Ezri tossed him a playful smile as she took her mug. “Spock…”

“Captain,” Spock replied, “I have no particular ‘favored drinks’. I am simply thirsty.”

Ezri shrugged. “Your loss….” She turned to the replicator. “Water—room temperature.”

The drink materialized. Ezri took the glass to Spock—who was still sitting in the copilot’s seat, where she’d left him the night before—and then sat down in her own seat, sipping her tea.

She frowned at him. “Did you sleep?”

“It is not necessary for me to be lying on a cot in order to…‘fall asleep’, Captain. My seat sufficed.”

“Oh…okay. But…wouldn’t that be uncomfortable?”

“Not at all.”

Ezri nodded, and returned to her tea. Somehow…she got the suspicion that Spock had simply elected to stay in his seat…to give her some privacy, after what had happened.

That’s so sweet of him…if that is what it was….

She finished, and set her cup down.

Spock turned to her. “Captain…I…apologize if I pressed you too hard, last night.”

Ezri shook her head. “Don’t be. I guess…I just needed someone to open up to about that—someone who I knew would understand.”

Spock raised an eyebrow. “Most interesting. In effect, then, one would say that I have provided a satisfactory …‘shoulder to cry on’?”

Ezri laughed, and she rolled her eyes. “I guess so….”

Spock frowned, probably confused at what he no doubt perceived as her quick recovery. “I…have never understood the female tendency to…channel the shedding of tears into an instrument of psychological healing.”

Ezri shrugged, and let out another chuckle. “Well…I know a thing or two about psychological healing.”

“Naturally.”

“But still…it’s hard to explain—particularly to men. No offense.”

“None taken.”

Ezri leaned back in her seat, and looked off, staring at nothing. “You know, it’s funny…I haven’t really been that open with anyone since…”

She stopped. Her smile disappeared.

Spock frowned. “Captain…?”

Ezri shook her head. “No…I’m alright, Spock. It’s just…I was thinking about…” She sighed. “Never mind.”

Spock still frowned, his curiosity obviously piqued. But this was something Ezri didn’t exactly want to open up to him about. It’s too personal…and I doubt he’d understand anything like that. He’s a Vulcan, after all—matters like love…and loss of love…don’t really enter the equation, do they?

Wait…that wasn’t quite true, was it? Ezri remembered something about Spock…. He wasn’t completely Vulcan, was he?

She turned to him, her tone more cheery this time. “So…is it okay if I ask you something personal?”

Spock nodded. “Of course.”

“You’re…half-human, is that right?”

“That is correct. My mother was human.”

“What must it be like…to be…?”

“…A ‘child of two worlds’?” Spock asked, in a tone of amusement.

Ezri shrugged. “I wouldn’t put it quite so poetically, but…sure!”

“It is most…unique. I must admit…for much of my life, I was…conflicted by my dual heritage.”

“I can imagine. But—I assume from your use of the past tense that you have overcome this problem.”

Spock raised an eyebrow at Ezri’s choice of words. “Yes.”

Silence followed for a while. But then, Spock remarked:

“Captain…it is most difficult for me to…engage in what is referred to as ‘small talk’.”

Ezri tilted her head. “Funny…you didn’t seem to have a problem with it yesterday.”

“That was…for the simple reason that I had a specific agenda in mind.”

“Which was…?” she asked, though she had a good clue as to the answer.

Spock stared at her. “I intended to…learn what I could about you.”

“Right. You said as much.”

“Of course. Nonetheless…I must admit, my attempts at ‘ordinary conversation’ have generally proven to be most…awkward.”

Ezri chuckled. “Story of my life.”

“Captain?”

“Oh—nothing. Just…I know how it feels. Me, I used to ramble a lot—go off on tangents, that sort of thing.”

Spock paused. “It would seem, then…that we have many things in common.”

Ezri looked off for a moment, considering that. “I guess.”

She turned her seat to face him. “To be honest, Spock…I’d like to learn a lot about you, too.”

“Indeed. I assume from your previous questions that you would prefer to begin with my dual heritage.”

Ezri shrugged. “If you like…”

Spock hesitated for a moment, and said, “Captain…I believe I have an alternative to simply…talking.”

Ezri frowned. “You don’t like talking?”

“I feel it may prove…inadequate. It would seem, however, that…as we share a desire to understand each other, perhaps it would be more…rewarding…if we were to join minds.”

Ezri blinked. “You mean…”

“Captain…would you consent to a mindmeld?”

She stared at him for a moment. “Ambassador…isn’t that supposed to be…highly personal?”

Spock nodded. “It could be—depending on how deeply each participant is willing to probe.”

Ezri glanced downward for a moment, considering this.

Come on, Ezri…it’s not like you have any deep, dark secrets that you can’t reveal or else. But…on the other hand…

She knew that she would basically be revealing to him all her emotions, her feelings, her thoughts…her memories.

But still…she also knew that Spock would be opening himself up to her, in the same manner. And…he wouldn’t do that, if it weren’t safe.

Besides…he’ll figure it out sooner or later. He’s pretty smart, after all.

She looked up, and gave a nervous smile. “Well…what are we waiting for?”

Spock raised an eyebrow, and rose from his seat. “As you wish.”

Ezri stood up. “So—is there a special technique for…melding with joined Trills?”

Spock frowned. “It depends on whether one intends to meld with the host or the symbiont. Were I to join minds with Dax, I would…have to place my hand…”

His voice trailed off, and his gaze fell to Ezri’s middle. For a moment, he seemed to…blush.

Ezri chuckled nervously, embarrassed for his sake. “Well…what about the host?”

“I would engage in the standard procedure. However, I would therefore not be accessing the memories you have gained from the symbiont, per se—simply your personal development due to the gaining of such knowledge. As such…you will not be able to access your past hosts during the meld. In effect…while physically, you will be unchanged, mentally…you will simply be Ezri Tigan.”

Ezri nodded. “I understand.”

Spock took a few steps away from the seats, and sat down cross-legged on the shuttle floor. Ezri sat across from him, in a similar position.

“Now…” said the ambassador, “Relax yourself…and your mind.”

Ezri nodded. She closed her eyes, took a deep breath in…and slowly let it out. Satisfied, she opened her eyes, and nodded once again.

Spock reached out to her face, his fingers pressing against specific areas. “Close your eyes.”

She did so, and heard Spock’s voice…as she also felt his words filling her own consciousness:

“My mind…to your mind…. My thoughts…to your thoughts…. Our minds are merging…Ezri Tigan. Our minds…are one.”

"The saying implies but does not name the effective agency of its supposed utopia.... 'Needs and abilities' are, of course, subjective. So the operative statement may be reduced to 'the State shall take, the State shall give'."
--David Mamet
Rush Limborg is offline   Reply With Quote