View Single Post
Old December 7 2009, 05:20 PM   #167
The Axeman
Commodore

Re: Logos, logos and some more logos...

I originally saw B5 in the US when it first came out, and it looked much worse on US format tellys than it did on our PAL sets. When I saw it here it didn't look quite so bad. It wasn't just that I didn't like the wallpaper however, I didn't much care for the whole thing.

My friends were rabid B5 fans but the stories just didn't grab me for some reason, and they chinned me mercilessly for preferring old fashioned Trek with it's seperate episodes. Thing is, it didn't really matter if you missed an episode or two, but it could matter a lot with B5 and you couldn't be bothered getting back into it. The terrible acting in the first series also did it no favours, but to be fair they did ditch Commander Plywood fairly smartly for someone who had more than one expression.

I also had an issue with JMS and his writing. He really seemed to be making it up as he went along, yet always tried to maintain he was creating a huge story arc. Garbage, as he had no idea how long the show might last, and like Lost it took off unexpectedly and he was scrabbling to make crap up. It was more soap opera than serial, which did not endear it to me. What can I say, it just never got me interested.