View Single Post
Old December 4 2009, 11:55 PM   #46
Deranged Nasat
Vice Admiral

Re: Star Trek: A Rendezvous With Destiny--A Tale of Captain Ezri Dax

Rush Limborg wrote: View Post
^Yeppers--and you'll see a bit more "foreshadowing" by the time the story's done.

Okay...I'm curious, though, on what everyone's thoughts are on Ezri's speech. Any emotions, there?
Well, I like that she is still allowed to show...is vulnerability the right word? Her growth over the course of the novels from inexperienced, naive girl to supremely capable, heroic starship commander happened reasonably quickly, and she was catapaulted into the centre seat unexpectedly, even with her command experience from the DS9 relaunch. It's nice that you show her as retaining a sense of insecurity, a sense of that "lost" quality that made Ezri so endearing- but now tied to and explored in the context of her new commanding self rather than undermining it. It makes her three dimensional, and it's reassuring. Yes, she's now Captain Ezri Dax, hero of the Federation, but she's still Ezri. That's what I liked about that passage- seeing that Ezri has grown, not changed, if that makes sense?