View Single Post
Old December 4 2009, 03:20 PM   #51
Kegg
Rear Admiral

Re: Least favorite Firefly character

I'm still disappointed that Kaylee got no votes. Even Jayne got three, and he was one of the more likeable characters on the show - but then, I'm not a big fan of romanticising thievery, am I?

I'd have taken a show about Jayne rather more interestedly than this show about beautiful conflicted drifters who do gosh darn it the right thing at the end of the day, but hey, one varies there. Battles without honour and humanity, I say! Now there's a show.*

As far as the ENT-Firefly debate goes, Firefly simply had an ensemble who were conceived and written better. While ENT had some solid actors - Billingsley in particular - the whole cast was sort of ramroded by the mediocre writing. The best season was the one where the characters took a back seat to the fanwankery, and that is saying a lot.

It is interesting that both shows put a lot of stock in their southern, 'simple' characters, though of the two Mal was more of a prick but also more entertaining to watch.

*Very special brownie points to anyone who knows whatever the heck it is I mean.