View Single Post
Old December 2 2009, 06:49 AM   #41
Jax
Admiral

Re: A Hater Revisits nuWho

Emh wrote: View Post
USS Bones wrote: View Post
Incidentally, I'm not a big fan on tacking "nu" on the front of things to indicate they're the relaunched version...but I have anyway. Get that. Anyway, reviews will follow.
I absolutely and completely agree on this count. Whether it's Battlestar Galactica, Doctor Who, or now even Star Trek, I simply loathe the prefix "nu."
The only reason I put Nu for doctor Who is because I consider the shows two different things. Despite being the same cannon universe there is so much of a gap between the last season in the 80's and the 2005 one its a soft reboot/relaunch without tacking it away from the universe its set in. I don't consider myself a fan of the old one, I was born in 1987 my childhood had no Doctor Who so I like to put NuWho to keep the two seperate.

There are so many gems within the last 5 years of Doctor Who, I hope you watch them and for fans of the old "School Reunion" in season 2 you should like. I personally find these episodes to be the top standout of the 21st century Who...

* The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances
* Bad Wolf/Parting of the Ways
* The Christmas Invasion
* The Girl in the Fireplace
* The Impossible Planet/Satans Pit
* Army of Ghosts/Doomsday
* Blink
* Utopia/The Sound of Drums/Last of the Timelords
* The Fires of Pompeii
* Planet of the Ood
* Silence in the Library/Forest of the Dead
* The Stolen Earth/Journeys End

IMO they are the best of the best from 2005-2009 though am sure I will add The End of Time to that list come January 2nd 2010.

Rose was a soft opener and the 1st proper episode of Who I can remember watching but it was enough to keep me watching the show and the 1st season was there to help RTD find his feet. DT reign has kicked DW into top gear and I love how epic the show can feel at times yet the Doctor seems the loneliest character ever.
If Fidelity to freedom and democracy is the code of our civic religion then surely the code of our humanity is faithful service to that unwritten commandment that says we shall give our children better than we ourselves received

Last edited by A JaxMas Carol; December 2 2009 at 07:03 AM.
Jax is offline   Reply With Quote