Old December 1 2009, 05:03 AM   #70
Bears Discover Fire
Rear Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Bears Discover Fire
Re: Your worst injuries

thestrangequark wrote: View Post
Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
You'll shoot your eye out!
My cousin did that when he was a kid. Now he has a glass eye which he used to take out and roll around to gross out the kids. Once it rolled under the fridge.
My uncle has a glass eye and lost it in our pool when I was a kid. I had to dive down to the bottom and retrieve it. Talk about tramautizing

Lets see my "big" injuries. I've never been maimed, thank god.

Age 1: fell face first on the edge of a coffee table while learning to walk and bit through my lip.

Age 5: went sailing over the handle bars of my bike and landed chin first on the side walk. My chin was hanging by a flap of skin and my jaw bone was visible. Took a lot of stitches. My nickname in kindergarten was "the bearded lady".

Age 10: stepped in a gopher hole while playing soccer during lunch and broke my left ankle in several places. At the time, the ER misdiagnosed me with a severe sprain. Years later, when I broke my foot (see below - age 25), an x-ray revealed 6 old fractures sustained simultaneously.

Age 14: fell off an ATC and caught my right leg in the spinning tire. 2nd and 3rd degree burns from knee to ankle, requiring a tetanus shot and several hours in the ER of a nurse picking rubber chunks out of my flesh and berating me for being a stupid kid (she was right). The single most acutely painful injury thus sustained.

Age 16: thrown face first into a brick wall by a solid wood door on a loaded spring hinge, embedding my lower lip into my braces (short term) and killing all four of my bottom front teeth (long term).

Age 20: bit on the calf by a brown recluse spider in my bed on the first day of christmas break. Lost my ability to walk for two weeks due to swelling in the leg. Ended with a dime size hole in the leg I could stick my finger through to the first knuckle.

Age 25: fell on a broken sidewalk and snapped two bones in my left foot. 2 months in a cast, 6 months in a Camwalker, never fully healed. Still in a lot of pain; I may yet require surgery.

Age 26: strangled and beaten in my apartment building. Strangulation injuries and 3 bones broken in my left foot. Only spent a month in a cast and 6 months in a cam walker, but went through a lot of physical therapy. This is by far the most psychologically damaging and traumatic injury I've sustained. Jury's out if I'll ever be "ok" again.
Bears Discover Fire is offline   Reply With Quote