View Single Post
Old November 30 2009, 12:44 AM   #53
Ancient Mariner
Rear Admiral

View Ancient Mariner's Twitter Profile
Re: Is Fringe any good?

TheMasterOfOrion wrote: View Post
Samuel Walters wrote: View Post
Tough to argue against the unimpressive beginning of the show, or with the technobabble expositions (which crop up more than they should). The show does get better, but its weakest aspects are the "cop procedural" elements. For me, the show generates just enough interest by way of its mythology and its characters (especially Walter) to justify calling it "entertaining." But I doubt Fringe will ever be mistaken as a great show like The Wire -- or even cutting edge like Dexter. It's possible, but Fringe will have to evolve quite a bit before that happens.
Fringe just leaves me unimpressed, I love the first season of Wire and I see why people watch that show. It has a tight written story arc, it develops well, the character development is well paced and the story moves brilliantly...maybe it also drags but so far I have loved The Wire. Can Fringe ever be as good as the first season of Wire?
hell no, but Fringe can be much better, tighter and better paced.
Dexter IMO is over rated, not half as dark, scary or funny as people hyped it to be.
Switched off
Well, I don't think there are many people who would argue that Fringe couldn't use a bit of improvement. I find it entertaining and enjoyable to watch (and hope it remains on the air for a while longer), but for it to reach the level of craft of The Wire? Not likely. Even at its worst moments, The Wire had a much more advanced story to tell.

Still, there aren't going to be many shows that even approach The Wire so even if Fringe never quite reaches that level of storytelling, it can still be a worthwhile series to watch -- provided it does a better job of developing its mythology and its characters.