View Single Post
Old November 26 2009, 11:03 PM   #19
Christopher
Writer

Re: A good Frankenstein movie.

Kibbin wrote: View Post
I agree that the whole lightning thing was an invention of the movies and in regards to the OP I wouldn't want to see a movie based on the original novel while it was and is groundbreaking I could never finish the novel as I couldnt stomach Victor and there seems a few things that annoyed me beside his suppoused genius intellect, my main being that Victor loves the inanimate beast but as soon as it wakes up it seems to have turned into some grotesque monster, then theres the fact that it breaks out and not only does he not do anythjng about that fact but he also doesn't see fit to do anything later on in the novel even when he is certain that it has started striking innocent people. It was around this time that I just gave up.
Oh, there's no question in my mind that Victor is the villain of the piece. The book is often interpreted as having the message "It's evil to play God," but I think its message is "It's evil to reject responsibility for our children." Victor creates an offspring who only wants to be loved and understood, but he rejects and despises his creation, along with everyone else, and the creature, growing up without love or guidance and met only with hatred and abuse, learns to respond in kind.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote