View Single Post
Old November 26 2009, 01:23 AM   #32
Rush Limborg
Vice Admiral

Re: Star Trek: A Rendezvous With Destiny--A Tale of Captain Ezri Dax

^Thank you--one and all!

Now...let's see what Spock has to say, in the ready room....

Star Trek: Aventine
A Rendezvous With Destiny
Scene 6

In the ready room, Spock was the first to speak. “Captain…I request the use of a long-range shuttlecraft.”

Ezri frowned. “To…Achernar Prime?”

“Precisely.”

Ezri sighed, and sat down on the edge of her desk. Despite the ambassador’s legendary status, still, she wasn’t about to grant every request to come from his mouth, simply because it was him making the request.

Besides… “Mr. Ambassador—”

“Captain—perhaps it would be…preferable…for me to be addressed in private simply as ‘Spock’. Or rather…‘Mr. Spock’, if you prefer.”

Ezri glanced downward for a moment. “Um…okay. Well…Spock…you must understand my misgivings about sending you out there, in such close proximity to—”

“—the border of the Romulan Star Empire?” Spock raised an eyebrow, and once again, a smile seemed to play on his face. “Surely, Captain…you are aware of the many years I have spent within said borders. Illegally, I might add.”

“Nonetheless, I’m not about to put you in harm’s way like that. Now is there a…specific reason we can’t just reschedule the conference?”

“Captain…I can supply two reasons, which I believe will suffice in your eyes.”

Ezri crossed her arms. “Well…let’s hear them.”

Spock nodded respectfully. “First…I would imagine Empress Donatra to be quite…busy…in overseeing the affairs of her domain. Therefore, I would not intend to impose upon her schedule any further.”

Ezri nodded. “And the second reason…?”

Spock hesitated for a moment. “Captain…my reasons for holding an audience with the empress…demanded that I schedule the meeting as early as possible. She and I mutually agreed to the specified date after a great deal of discussion. Any delays could well have…unfortunate consequences for me.”

Ezri raised an eyebrow of her own. “Such as…?”

“…Such as…the failure of my intended mission.”

Why is he so tight lipped about this? What are you hiding from me, Spock…?

Apparently, the ambassador had an idea of what she was thinking. “I apologize, Captain, however…I cannot provide any further details at this time.”

The companel chirped. “Bridge to Captain.”

“Dax here.”

“Captain, the message is ready, and awaiting your order.”

Ezri stared at Spock. He was watching her intently…almost as if he were…pleading.

“All right, Lieutenant. I’ll be right there. Dax out.”

She stood up, facing Spock. “Ambassador…you must understand that I am responsible for your safety. As such…I am not about to send you out in a shuttlecraft…”

She studied his reaction. He held her gaze, his face blank.

Ezri finished her sentence. “…alone.”

Spock’s eyebrow shot up.

And Ezri let the smile she’d been suppressing appear in full force.

"Forget it, Jake...it's Chinatown."
Rush Limborg is offline   Reply With Quote